No matter what shape your teeth are in, Dr. Cooper’s first order of business after examining your teeth is to give them a cleaning. His team will use a specialized tool to remove the tartar, or hardened plaque, that has built up around your teeth and gums. This tool uses gentle vibrations and a cooling mist to knock off the tarter. Then, a smaller tool provides a more targeted cleaning of each tooth individually.
Polishing is the next step. This step will help your teeth feel smoother and look shinier, and it will also help prevent plaque from building up again. Finally, you may receive a fluoride treatment, in which you will wear a tray with a fluoride solution for about thirty seconds to give your teeth an extra boost of freshness and protection. The entire process shouldn’t take longer than an hour, and is painless.
Exploring Your Options
Chances are, if this truly is your first dental appointment in years, you will need further dental work to bring your teeth to their optimal condition. Some of the common procedures that long-neglected teeth may need include:
- Silver or composite fillings, to remove tooth decay and fill cavities
- Application of a sealant, to protect teeth that have worn enamel or the beginnings of a cavity
- Porcelain crowns, to cap teeth that have very large cavities or to help hold false teeth in place
- Root canal, to remove severe decay from an abscessed tooth
- Extraction, if a wisdom tooth is impacted or a tooth is too far decayed to be saved
With years of experience under our belts, we at Cooper Family Dentistry will gladly explore your options with you to come up with a plan that can give you the healthy smile you have always wanted. Give us a call today to set up an appointment.